May is right around the corner and depending on where you live this could mean a few things. Some people are looking out their windows to see cloudy skies and rainy days like us here in Louisiana. Others are seeing random snow days followed by spring sunshine like those in the Midwest or Rocky Mountain north. No matter where you are, or what type of weather you’re experiencing, the one food most of us can agree on for dinner is chicken. Most of us love a good, flavorful, chicken dish anytime of the day, but especially for dinner. This Whole Roasted Chicken and Veggies meal is one of my family’s favorites. The juicy chicken, tender vegetables, and beautiful presentation is the perfect combination.
As if the delicious whole roasted chicken and veggies taste wasn’t enough to convince you, it’s also a one pan meal. Yes, you’ll only need to use one pan to cook the entire meal. For those of you who hate doing dishes like myself, this is music to your ears. A meal that consists of chicken, potatoes, and vegetables on one pan. I just had to say it again for those of you who read the earlier part and thought it was too good to be true.
Advice & Tips:
There’s really no secret to this dish and it’s flavor. My only bit of advice is to not be shy with your seasonings and spices. Seriously, be generous with anything that isn’t salt. I consistently use seven seasonings on my whole roasted chicken and veggies. Yes, seven. Including the salt and pepper. It makes a delicious crust on the chicken skin, as well as, deep flavor in the chicken itself. Lastly, use whatever vegetables your family prefers. My go to is always carrots, onions, and potatoes. I’ve used both Yukon gold and red potatoes. They’re equally delicious. However, bring your own flare to this dish for your family. Switch it up and have fun with dinner time. Now let’s go ahead and get started on our whole roasted chicken and veggies dinner:
Whole Roasted Chicken & Veggies
- 5 lbs Whole Chicken
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Butter softened
- 6 Gold or Red Potatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 cup Baby Carrots
- 1/2 Lemon
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Organic Poultry Blend Herbs
Clean and remove the innards from your whole chicken. Trim any fat you don't want off of the chicken now as well.
Pat your chicken dry and set to the side.
Spray your large baking pan with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Cut your potatoes in half, cut your red onion in half then into quarters, and cut your lemon half into quarters. Place to the side.
Place your whole chicken on the pan, take 2 tbsp of your softened butter and rub evenly on top and underneath the skin of the chicken. (This is how you add the juices into the chicken)
Add one tbsp of olive oil to the chicken and rub on top of the chicken as well. (This gives the chicken a shine and locks more moisture in)
Wash your hands and add one tbsp of butter, two potatoes, one quarter of an onion, one quarter of the lemon, and the poultry blend herbs to the inside of the chicken.
Evenly scatter your carrots, garlic, and remaining lemon, onions, and potatoes, around your chicken on the pan.
Now take your spices, mix them together, and evenly sprinkle 80% over the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining 20% over the vegetables around the chicken on the pan.
Cut your remaining tbsp of butter in half and place on the pan anywhere between the vegetables.
Cover 3/4ths of the pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
After the 45 minutes are done remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes uncovered.
Once it's done baking, take out of the oven, let it rest for 10 minutes. Cut and enjoy!
Leave a Reply