Returning from vacation means getting back into the swing of every day life. For me this means meal prepping my food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Meal prep is a huge key to me eating better, but making foods that actually taste good is the most important factor. These Lean Turkey Burgers are one of my absolute favorite meal prep recipes. They’re packed with flavor and protein which is exactly what I want and need.
I add onions to my turkey burgers because I love onions. I add them to anything they can pair with. However, I do know not everyone shares my love for onions. This ingredient can be substituted with any other veggie you prefer. Bell peppers, spinach, etc. You can’t go wrong with more flavor and getting your vegetables in for the day. Your other option is you can just make the burgers as is with the seasonings and no added vegetables. Either way they will be delicious. I promise!
A few burger cooking tips:
- Make your patties a good size. They won’t shrink much if you’re using 97%-99% fat free ground turkey, but they will still change a little bit.
- Do not press down on your lean turkey burger patties as they cook. Pressing on them will remove the juices and that’s part of the flavor!
- For those of you who pay attention to macro numbers here are the macros for these Lean Turkey Burgers (Shadybrooks 97% fat free brand): Protein- 32.9g Carbohydrates- 0 Fat- 3.8g . Awesome, right? *This is only for the turkey burger patty itself.*
Now let’s get to cooking these burgers!
Lean Turkey Burgers
An easy high protein and low fat turkey burger recipe!
- 20 lbs 97% Ground Turkey
- 1/4 cup Diced Onions *optional
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Adobo
- 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Poultry Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil *or cooking spray
Line a baking sheet or large plate with parchment paper or foil. Set to the side.
In a large bowl, using your hands, combine the ground turkey, onions, olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, poultry seasoning, black pepper, and sea salt.
You can split the ground turkey mixture into four 5 ounce patties or five 4 ounce patties. (I usually make four 5 oz. patties)
Lightly spray a large frying pan with cooking spray and heat the pan over medium high heat.
Once the pan is hot gently place one burger patty in the pan at a time. (You don’t want to overcrowd and slow down the cooking)
Cooking the patty one each side for 3-4 minutes or until it’s the golden brown color your desire. Place the patty to the side on a clean board or dish and allow to sit while you cook the others.
Repeat steps 4-7 for each burger patty until you’re finished. After you’ve cooked each lean turkey burger put your patty together with any other desired ingredients on a lower carb bun and enjoy!
Leave a Reply