If you have been here reading my posts for a while then this Grapefruit Simple Syrup recipe shouldn’t surprise you. Anytime I create a drink recipe that requires simple syrup as an ingredient I create my own simple syrup. My Grapefruit Margarita recipe is no exception!
I specifically used red grapefruit for this recipe. There are multiple types of grapefruit but this is my personal preference. I’m sure any type you like should work the same way. Simple syrup is so incredibly easy to make which is why I always make mine homemade. You only need sugar, water, and whatever fruit of your choice. The fresh fruit taste is unmatched and once you make your first batch of simple syrup you won’t go back to store bought!
Grapefruit Simple Syrup Tips:
- The longer the grapefruit boils in the sugar water mixture the stronger the grapefruit taste.
- Be sure to stir frequently to avoid burning the mixture. It will NOT taste good if burned.
- This simple syrup is like any other freshly made syrup…it will only last so long before losing the taste. I make smaller batches to avoid wasting it.
- If you want a slightly more pinkish red tint to your grapefruit simple syrup add a small dash pf grenadine to the mixture.
Grapefruit Simple Syrup
This freshly made homemade grapefruit simple syrup is the perfect citrus flavor boost for your favorite citrus flavored drinks!
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Large Grapefruit *sliced with peel*
Wash the peel of the grapefruit well since it will be used for boiling. Then cut the grapefruit into 2 inch pieces.
In a sauce pot, over medium heat add the grapefruit slices, water and white sugar. Bring to a slight boil.
Lightly stir until all of the sugar has dissolved. I recommend stirring over heat for an additional 3-5 minutes longer for a stronger grapefruit flavor.
Turn off the burner and set the pot to the side for about 20 minutes to cool down.
Once cool, pour the grapefruit simple syrup into a glass bottle or container and let it completely cool before placing in the fridge for at least an hour.
This will last in the fridge for up to 3 months. Use as you like for your mixed drinks and enjoy!
Leave a Reply