We made it to soup season y’all! And by “we” I mean technically it is fall for all of us. But those of you who live in the south like me know it’s still 20 million degrees outside. Insert me crying and screaming because I hate being hot. The cheat code for being able to eat soup like the lucky people in 50 degree weather is making it cold inside your house. You can cuddle up in blankets, eat comfort food, and be happy like me. This homemade Chicken & Rice soup legit feels like a warm hug on a crisp fall day. And it’s simple directions with simple ingredients which means anyone can make this soup fav.Jump to Recipe
This is one of those recipes that takes me right back to being a kid. My Grandmother makes the best chicken soups. Whether it’s chicken and rice, chicken noodle, or chicken and potatoes, it’s phenomenal. I feel like when I make dishes like this I’m chasing that same taste and perfection. However, it’s a gentle reminder of how much memories impact even the simplest of things like soup recipes. The soup was always warm, but the feeling in the moment of eating a bowl of homemade soup, made with literal love, after being out in the cold is something you can’t buy. When I make these recipes my hope is that my girls have the same memories when they’re older of why passing down recipes will always be important.
Chicken & Rice Soup Tips:
- If you prefer more of a certain ingredient in your soup then feel free to add it. For example: my husband and I love extra onions and garlic in our soup. We also prefer more chicken and less broth.
- Start with the suggested amounts for seasoning then adjust right before it’s finished cooking. I usually start with adding more of the bouillon powder then go from there.
- Do you like spice in your soup? Add some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to you bowl of soup right before eating. I love a good kick to my food!
- This dish freezes very well too. It’s important to use parboiled rice especially if you plan on freezing. This stops the rice from getting mushy when you reheat it.
Chicken & Rice Soup
- 1.5-2 lbs Chicken Breasts
- 2 Celery stalks
- 2 Large Carrot Sticks •or• 8-10 baby carrots
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 4 Tbsp. Chicken flavor bouillon (powder)
- 1 medium Sweet Onion
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Parsley (dried)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Tbsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 10-12 cups Water
- 1 cup (Parboiled) Rice
Dice your carrots, celery, and sweet onion then set to the side. Mince your garlic and put to the side as well.
In a large pot heat your olive oil over medium high heat. Once it is hot add your diced vegetables and minced garlic to the pot.
Stir for 2-3 minutes or until slightly tender.
Add your chopped parsley, italian seasoning, onion powder, black pepper, and salt to the vegetables and mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes to release the flavors.
Pour the water into the pot and add your chicken bouillon flavor to the water. Stir to mix the vegetables and chicken bouillon seasoning.
Once the water and seasonings start to boil add your chicken breasts to the water.
Let the pot boil uncovered for 3 minutes then cover the pot and turn down to medium-low heat. Let the soup cook for an hour.
After the soup has cooked for the hour remove your chicken breast and use two forks to shred the chicken up.
Once shredded return to the pot. (Adjust your taste prefernces now with more seasoning or more water to dilute the seasoning if you prefer)
Add the parboiled rice to the pot, stir, and let the rice cook until soft but not mushy. (About 10 minutes)
Serve up your chicken & rice soup with parsley flakes on top for garnish and enjoy!
Leave a Reply