Goudaaaa! *Sung in Marshall Erickson’s voice* If you never watched the tv show “How I Met Your Mother” then you won’t get the gouda reference…sorry! In other news, you never knew how much you needed this Bacon & Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese in your life. The flavor from the caramelized bacon pieces and smoky flavors of the cheese are a match made in heaven. Not to mention this is a stovetop mac and cheese recipe which means easy and to the point.Jump to Recipe
Now that comfort food season is here mac and cheese recipes are a must. There’s really no story behind this Bacon & Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese recipe. My family loves bacon and we love smoked gouda so why not combine the two in one of our favorite dishes? It’s by far one of the best random cooking ideas I’ve had in a while! Below I will share a few tips to make this recipe even better.
Cooking Tips & More:
- If you enjoy a hint of sweet in your savory I highly recommend using a sweet flavored bacon like brown sugar or maple. I used maple and it was the perfect complimentary flavor to the smoked gouda.
- Cook the bacon in the oven. I know this isn’t news but many people don’t think of this option. Oven baked bacon gives the perfect crisp, and all the excess grease drains easier.
- One of the classic vegetable pairings for any Mac and cheese but especially this Bacon & Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese is oven roasted broccoli.
- You can use whatever pasta you prefer but there’s something a cellantani or bowtie pasta that makes the dish more fun!
Bacon & Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese
This stovetop Mac and cheese recipe is the creamy comfort food with just the right amount of sweetness. Easy to make and full of flavor.
- 12 oz. Bacon *cooked and crumbled*
- 3 cups Cellentani Pasta
- 2.5 cups Milk
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1.5 cups Smoked Gouda *shredded*
- 1 cup Mild Cheddar *shredded*
- 1 Tbsp. Flour
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Adobo
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- Seasoned Salt *to taste*
Bake your bacon according to the instructions on the package.
In a large pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Once the butter has melted add the flour and whisk quickly until it looks like a roux. (Make sure you whisk quickly to avoid burning the butter and flour)
While still whisking the mixture slowly pour in the chicken broth in the pot quickly followed by the milk.
Add all of the seasonings to the mixture (onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, adobo, seasoned salt, and black pepper) and stir until well combined.
Switch the whisk for a cooking spoon and gently pour the cellentani pasta into the milk mixture. Let the pasta cook for 5-7 minutes (or until al dente) while stirring frequently to avoid burning.
Now add the shredded smoked gouda, mild cheddar, and cream cheese to the pasta. Mix well.
Lastly, pour the bacon crumbles into the pot and stir to mix the bacon pieces into the Mac and cheese.
Serve with oven roasted broccoli and/or your favorite protein. Enjoy!