Yesterday made exactly one week since we’ve been in the new year. The days in this year already seem to be going by quickly, but apparently life going by quicker as you get older is true. Especially when you add two kids and two dogs to the equation. 2018 was a year of challenges and growth. Many challenges we never saw coming in a million years. Yet, important enough to change our lives forever for many reasons. I won’t bore you with the specific details of how 2018 impacted myself and my family because nobody has enough time to sit and read that novel. Instead, here is a quick run down of what happened to the Jamieson family in 2018 and how it shaped my goals for 2019.
- The highlight of the year by far was Riley joining and completing our family. (However, my pregnancy with her was a tough one that made me feel like I was pregnant for 12 years)
- Jordyn started preschool. This is the first time she’s been away from me for a few hours a day so it was quite an adjustment for me. She’s thriving to say the least.
- We added not one but TWO new four legged family members to our crazy clan. Their names are Apollo and Chronos and they are German Wirehaired Labrador mixes. They are brothers from the same litter.
- The girls and I spent 5 months total away from my husband while he was gone for multiple reasons all military career related. (Three of those months being the last trimester of my pregnancy!)
- I turned the big 3-0. I threw a 80’s/90’s themed birthday party surrounded by family and friends. It was an amazing evening.
- We traveled to California and Illinois twice this year.
- Attended 3 weddings of 3 awesome couples.
- Two weeks before Thanksgiving we got official orders to Louisiana. (This is our first move in the military and we’re looking forward to it!)
- My husband was diagnosed with stage one testicular cancer a week before Thanksgiving. Thankfully, he caught it early and finished radiation on New Years Eve. In case you can’t tell by this list, this was the most emotionally challenging part of the year for us.
Talk about one hell of a year, huh? If nothing else, 2018 prepared me for 2019 in many ways. One of those ways being the goals I wish to accomplish and learning the importance of what goals actually matter. Once upon a time I used to set goals with a “because I want it” mindset. Although there is nothing wrong with simply wanting something I want my new goals to directly impact my family and my community.
I no longer want to eat better or lose weight to only look good in an outfit, but because I want to be healthy enough to be around for many years with my family. I don’t want to monetize my blog so I can buy more things, I want to monetize my blog so we have more money for experiences. I want self care to go beyond a nice bubble bath but incorporate more time and effort towards my mental and emotional health, etc. With that said, here are my goals for 2019:
- Make healthier food and lifestyle choices
- Start working out 3x a week
- Monetize my blog and grow my brand
- Travel and experiences new places
- Step out of my comfort zone
- Spend less time overthinking and more time in the moment
- Trust God and lean on Him more
- Promote and encourage my loved ones in their purpose
- Be active in my local communities
Although these goals seem fairly standard I want to be sure I take them serious and understand they will affect more than myself. I want to find the balance between selfless and selfish this year because they will equally contribute to making my family, my community, and myself better.
Happy 2019 everyone!