This winter I experimented with comfy food recipes and my favorite by far is my potato corn and bacon chowder. Want to hear the best part (besides it being delicious of course)? It’s SO easy to make and takes less than an hour to prepare and cook. How much better can it get? Exactly, that’s what I said.
* I will be cooking this delicious dish on a live Periscope broadcast: Tuesday, January 12th @ 3:00 p.m. MST. Feel free to join in and learn how to make this delicious meal if you prefer to watch live vs. reading the recipe here online.
The Recipe is as follows:
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Serves: 4-6
6-8 Red Potatoes
1 Large Yellow Onion (diced)
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 (15 oz.) Can Sweet Corn (drained)
3 Tbsp Butter
32 0z. Chicken Broth
1 Cup Whole Milk
3 Tbsp Flour
2 Cups Mild Cheddar Cheese
8-12 Crispy Cooked Bacon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp Onion Powder
*more salt and pepper to taste*
- Wash then cut your red potatoes into approximately 1 inch cubes. Place your diced potatoes into a large bowl and put to the side.
- In a large pot, over medium high heat melt your butter then saute your diced onions until soft. Add your teaspoon of salt to the onions as they cook to help soften them.
- Add your minced garlic, flour and pepper to the sauteed onions. Stir to combine. Now add your drained corn to the pot and mix for a minute of two with the other ingredients.
- Pour your chicken broth into the pot and whisk the mixture to avoid clumps. Then add your milk to the pot and whisk again. Let the mixture get to a boil.
- Once the pot has started to boil pour your diced potatoes in and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes then reduce heat to medium low. Cover the pot and let the chowder cook for 30 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are soft add your 2 cups of mild cheddar cheese to the chowder and stir until combined.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
Serve your potato corn chowder with two strips of bacon crumbled on top. If you like a little spice in your life feel free to add cayenne pepper on top as well.
Happy eating! 🙂